Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Leda and the Swan


As I sit at my computer listening to the Indigo Girls and reveling in the fact that my writing studio homework is done, I have to ponder a certain poem. Aforesaid poem is Leda and the Swan, by William Butler Yeats.

I first read this poem in English nine honors amidst contorted faces and gasps as the swan had its way with poor Leda. We knew it was Zeus and somehow that made it more accessible, but I remember the prospect of him being in the form of a swan was absolutely disturbing to some people. In all honesty, I was incredibly irked that most of the class was hung up on the inherent sexual nature of the poem. So we spent the rest of our time with the poem discussing the weirdness of Zeus and his libido. Not to mention poor Hera. Anyways, today in Writing Studio, I got a second chance with the poem.

Let me tell you, going back to a good poem or book is like going back to a favorite movie. All of a sudden it all made sense. Helen of Troy, Leda's expectations and shock when Zeus drops her like a used rag, the stark portrayal of commandeering gods. It all fell into place. I thank my amazing verse teacher, who not only made us all bust a gut (I believe his exact phrase was, "Zeus's feathered glory"), he helped us appreciate the poem for its structure and its meaning. But I won't go off on a poetry tangent. I worry I've already lost you, reader, so I won't preach to the choir.

Oh yes, yesterday I met the 2010 Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction. You know, Paul Harding? Tinkers? Ring any bells? Even if it doesn't (I would've had no idea had I not been required to read his book for summer reading), this guy was amazing. Having done a very close out-loud reading of his book tinkers in class for the first two weeks of school, it was that much more wonderful to be able to discuss the work with its creator. he was insightful, obscure, and spoke mostly in metaphors. And he appreciated that I read his book in the boondox of the Alaskan wilderness. What a wonderful place I'm in.

2 comments:

  1. more more more on Zeus, we all love a fine preacher! Thanks for tinkering this post, sure enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope my skype explanation was sufficient:)

    ReplyDelete