Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dormitory

Like any good child of the nineties, I read Harry Potter. Like any devotee of the Wizarding world, I wanted nothing more than to live in a dorm. I'm not going to lie, the fact that my new school is a boarding school (WITH DORMS) was a definitive factor in my own choice to go. Now that I'm here, I will tell you some interesting anecdotal truths about dorm life.
1. A good roommate is everything: fortunately, I have the best roommate anyone could ask for. She is neat, punctual, solicitous, has no odd/noisy habits, does not play a musical instrument, does not talk incessantly, does not blast loud music, does not decorate her side of the room with Disney channel stars and starlets. It helps that we don't see each other at all during the day, so going "home" at night and just chatting with her is really fun and relaxing. And she's got a very dry sense of humor. Always a good thing to posses, in my book.
2. Wear flip-flops in the shower: because you just don't know who was in there before you washing with what. Granted, us B***** H*** girls are one the whole a hygienic bunch, it guards from foot fungus. Oh yes...To the girl who leaves hair and random pairs of underwear in the showers: STOP DOING IT! Please. Thank you.
3. Don't let anyone cut your hair: amazingly, one girl let another girl do this, and it turned out fine, but the prospect of another high school student, as artsy as we all are, is terrifying!
4. Study hour is anything but, at least outside our room. Study hour is this great little implementation stating that between the hours of 9 and 10 PM, all students must be in their rooms studying or reading silently. Music must be listened to with headphones, and visitors are not allowed. That being said, why, last night was Kanye West spluttering from the room across from us? I sound like the biggest prude ever, but reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles isn't fun when I've to wade through crappy lyrics.
5. Don't eat the cake sitting in plain sight in the communal refrigerator: Just because the Cheese Cake Factory box is sitting cruely open and all the chocolatey/peanutbuttery goodness is eeking from the doggy back, doesn't mean you can eat it. Food is a very big issue around here. Apparently that was a big issue last year; people taking each other's food and not reimbursing them...that sort of thing.

All things said, dorm life is hilarious and good fun, even when people blast music and run up and down the hallways. It's like living with forty-odd sisters. It's great. It's crazy.

1 comment:

  1. The best place to come and read when i'm missing you. I am taking my hair balls off the shower wall in your honor. I am going to shop for a pair of Taiwan shower flip flops for you:D my next CARE PACKAGE!

    ReplyDelete